Member at Large
Member at Large (Two Positions)
- Momentum Choir
- Primarily Virtual
Momentum Choir is a performance choir comprised entirely of adults living with disabilities. We are a one-of-a-kind not for profit organization focused on providing an unparalleled learning experience and a constant support system for adults who live with a disability.
Our head office is located in Niagara Region. We are quickly expanding across Southern Ontario for our in-person choir program and strategically expanding nationally for our virtual choir program Momentum Without Boarders. Momentum Choir is currently seeking two new Members at Large to fill two vacant positions on the Board of Directors.
Ideally, we would like one board member based out of Niagara and one board member based out of Hamilton. These two locations are currently our two primary in-person choir locations.
This is an opportunity to be a part of a growing not-for-profit organization and an
engaged and dynamic team. The Board of Directors is accountable for achievement of
the strategic directions of the organization.
This is a voluntary position.
It can be held for a three year term with a possibility of one additional term.
• Board meetings are held monthly and are 2.5 hours in duration,
• Regularly attend meetings (both in person and virtually) and arrive prepared and ready
to engage in Board business and discussions,
• Work collaboratively, and in accordance with the strategic plan, by-laws and policies,
• Draw on skills, knowledge and experience to help advance the discussions,
• Maintain confidentiality,
• Act in the best interest of the Momentum Choir and assist the Board in carrying out its
fiduciary duty (act honestly and in good faith) and duty of care (care, diligence and
• Assist in the recruitment and orientation of Board members,
• Actively participate in the Board’s evaluation processes,
• Participate in development and implementation of the strategic plan,
• Stay informed about Board matters; review and comment on agenda, minutes, reports
and other relevant documentation.
• An understanding of what Momentum Choir is and its importance to its members and
• Dedicated and enthusiastic interpersonal skills.
Core skills and competencies:
• Critical thinking, problem solving, communication and analytical skills.
• The ability to work collaboratively with others and build relationships.
• Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusivity; tolerance and respect for others.
• Empathetic and compassionate.
Although not required, experience in any of the following areas would be an asset:
• working with people with disabilities,
• charity or not-for-profit governance,
• not-for-profit grant writing.
Applicants who are asked to join the Board of Directors will require a vulnerable sector
Further information about Momentum Choir can be found on our website, Facebook, Instagram, or our YouTube Channel.
To apply for this position, please forward your resume or CV to
About Momentum Choir
Momentum Choir is a registered not-for-profit organization that provides artistic
programming to nurture and promote the talents of unique musicians, creating a more
accepting and inclusive community.
Our artists live with a physical, emotional, or intellectual disability that is a challenge to
everyday living. There has been very limited opportunity for members of the disabled
community to actively participate in arts and music programming. Recognizing that
limitation, in 2007 Momentum Choir was established to provide adults living with
disabilities a space and professional direction to create music, bond and develop a
shared purpose, a sense of belonging and lasting friendships critical to their social
inclusion, mental health and wellbeing.